White House Signals Plans For Another Rescission Package
In its first six months, the Trump administration has moved aggressively to reshape federal spending, implementing significant budget reductions and signaling more to come.
One of the administration’s key actions has been a broad reassessment of government expenditures, spearheaded by the Office of Management and Budget. This effort has already resulted in the passage of a rescissions bill, which reclaimed more than $9 billion. That legislation targeted programs long criticized by conservatives, including funding for National Public Radio (NPR), the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), and foreign aid programs under USAID.
The Department of Education has existed since 1980.
The results? Costs of education and salaries of career bureaucrats have gone through the roof, meanwhile test scores of students have plummeted.
Time to cut the waste, fraud, and abuse at the Department of Education. https://t.co/UU7XrklK5i
— Rep. Chip Roy Press Office (@RepChipRoy) July 22, 2025
Russ Vought, the head of the Office of Management and Budget, has been clear that this was only the beginning. On July 17, he confirmed that another rescissions package is in development, though he did not provide details on its contents. A report from The Daily Signal has since indicated that the next round of cuts will affect the Department of Education as well as other, unspecified areas.
White House Deputy Chief of Staff James Blair told reporters that discussions are ongoing. “We’ve got a number of items we’re looking at also, obviously talking to the senators too,” Blair said. “They’re going through the appropriations process. We don’t know what’s important to them, but you’ll obviously see that very soon.”
The more rescissions the merrier https://t.co/Qcmu1VvdKV
— Senator Jim Banks (@SenatorBanks) July 22, 2025
House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-LA) confirmed that negotiations are active, though the total size of the new package remains unknown.
The Department of Education is a particular target for many conservatives, who argue that federal involvement has failed to improve educational outcomes. President Trump reinforced that position in March, signing an executive order empowering Education Secretary Linda McMahon to begin dismantling the department. Since then, 1,300 employees have been dismissed.
Fabulous news! 👏
The @freedomcaucus is ready to work to advance President Trump’s agenda, fulfilling the American people’s mandate to save taxpayer dollars and eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse. https://t.co/TXfs5e2uWk
— Rep. Keith Self (@RepKeithSelf) July 22, 2025
Members of the House Freedom Caucus praised the administration’s approach. In a statement on X, the group wrote: “Every dollar clawed back is YOUR money protected from Washington’s waste. The Freedom Caucus is ready to back additional rescissions and keep fighting to cut reckless spending.”