Teachers Unions Issue Crazy Demands Or They Aren’t Working After Aligning With The Democratic Socialist of America
A group of 10 teachers unions has aligned with the Democratic Socialists of America and organized a “Day of Resistance.”
The coalition includes some of the largest teachers unions in the country:
- Chicago Teachers Union
- Boston Teachers Union
- United Teachers Los Angeles
- Massachusetts Teachers Association
- Journey For Justice
- Center for Popular Democracy
- St. Paul Federation of Educators
- Midwest Academy
- Milwaukee Teachers Education Association
- National Educators United
- Racine Educators United
- Little Rock Education Association
- Oakland Education Association
- Democratic Socialists of America
According to their website unions are claiming that they aren’t going to go back to the classroom until these demands are met:
- No reopening until the scientific data supports it
- Police-free schools
- All schools must be supported to function as community schools with adequate numbers of counselors and nurses and community/parent outreach workers
- Safe conditions including lower class sizes, PPE, cleaning, testing, and other key protocols Equitable access to online learning
- Support for our communities and families, including canceling rents and mortgages, a moratorium on evictions/foreclosures, providing direct cash assistance to those not able to work or who are unemployed, and other critical social needs
- Moratorium on new charter or voucher programs and standardized testing
- Massive infusion of federal money to support the reopening funded by taxing billionaires and Wall Street
- Equitable access to online learning
On August 3rd the unions held a “National Day of Resistance” to protest the opening of schools. Events were held around the country.
The following locations have related events planned tomorrow:
— Corey A. DeAngelis (@DeAngelisCorey) August 2, 2020
Here’s a friendly reminder for these teachers’ unions to remember that science supports schools opening. Below is the CDC director clarifying CDC guidelines.
Video of CDC Director calling for schools to open, saying CDC never called for closures, and clarifying CDC guidelines should not be used to justify closures.
— Phil Kerpen (@kerpen) July 8, 2020
What these unions want has nothing to do with the coronavirus they are merely using it as a pawn. These unions are attempting a power grab to take educational choice away from parents.